5 Ways to Motivate Yourself to Take Action
We’ve all been there before, the alarm clock goes off and we roll over to press the snooze button. Just a few more minutes and you’ll be ready to start the day. The few more moments arrive and you pull yourself out of the bed to start your daily routine. The only thing missing is the high energy you normally would have and the "conquer all" attitude is completely hiding out. Oh where… Oh where can I find thee hiding?
This is so common for everyone but the big question is who can still will themselves to perform at their optimal level minus the motivation that sometimes comes and goes? It is very hard to do if you’re not passionate about what it is that you’re doing however sometimes the most passionate goal setters go through low levels of motivation. Over time I’ve analyzed and studied what makes one goal chaser excel and another goal chaser remain at a mediocre level and the conclusion is that, one doesn’t need to feel motivated to work their plan. The only thing that matters to them is the end result. They have made peace with some days are going to be better than others but no matter what, you must show up for yourself before anyone else will show up for you.
So, what must you do to defeat that thief that we know will eventually show up and temporarily steal your motivation? The answer to this questions is currently being tested on many levels, but the one that seems to work is for you to face that beast. Don’t hide, don’t back down. If you feel unmotivated then say yes I “feel” unmotivated however I have shit to do an no matter what it will get done.
This is how I approach everything in my life. We are not always going to be motivated every single day of our lives. I never heard a millionaire state they loved every day of the journey. Nope! Not one that I can think of but what I do hear them say is get up and work your plan even when you don’t feel like it. Success does not care about how you feel, it cares about the action that you have taken. So many times we pray for certain things but we don’t want to put in the necessary work to make it happen.
You see that girl over there fit, fashionable, speaking eloquently and showing up in the world as a confident boss! Oh, you so wish that could be you. News flash, it can be you if you stop watching what she’s doing and start taking action. Before you see any success of others you better believe they have put in blood, sweat and tears. It didn’t just fall out the sky, it takes showing up for yourself.
Here are 5 tips I want to share with you to help you when you feel unmotivated and want to throw in the towel.
1. Be grateful for what you have today. This is the #1 rule we so often neglect. Gratitude can get you much further than always looking at what you don’t have. Once I put into practice this one tip my entire world changed. Make a list of things and people you are grateful for today.
2. Break your To-Do List up into smaller tasks. Sometimes looking at the big picture is too much. We often need to take baby steps to get to the big goal. Break the first 3 tasks on your to-do list into smaller tasks and once you complete them, then start again by breaking the next 3 tasks down to smaller task. You’ll notice that you’re more productive than busy.
3. Practice the 5 second rule. Our minds are wired to stay in a protective comfortable state which is where our limitations reside. In order to gain the type of success that you are seeking you must break this pattern. I started by practicing the 5 second rule. When it’s time for me to do anything in life whether it’s personal or business I do not give my conscious mind time enough to talk me out of it. I count to 5 and start moving. It doesn’t matter if I don’t feel like it. The only thing I’m concerned about is completing the goal. This will defeat that beast you may know of by “procrastination”. Apply the 5- second rule today.
4. Keep a resource that will motivate you. This is something I learned early on when starting my business. Many entrepreneurs that are seeking great success are working when others are sleeping and many times there’s not going to be someone there to motivate you to tell you to keep going. I plugged into YouTube and discovered Les Brown and Eric Thomas just to name a few. Whenever I feel like going to bed before I have finished the task it's either I’m not motivated or I just feel like a few hours of sleep will help. I simply press play on a Les Brown or Eric Thomas video and I be pumped again and I get it done! Find that resource that will be accessible to you at all times in those times when your inner critic is trying to let in your cousins; Lazy, Doubt, Fear and Procrastination. Put a block at the front door immediately.
5. Stop scrolling on Social Media. This is so important when you are attempting to build momentum and consistency in your business. You want to stop all of the scrolling. It’s only wasting your time and keeping your from being productive. It also builds a level of envy too. You will see others that you aspire to be like or wish you had their life so you start to envy them because they are successful in the own right. You don’t feel like you’re successful so now here comes our enemy “envy”. I’ve learned to focus on my goals and my business and that does not allot time to scroll to peek at what others are doing because I’m busy making my own lane. Stop scrolling and get to work!
I hope you find these tips helpful. You have the power deep within you to achieve the unimaginable and it’s time for you to tap into it. I wish you the best of luck in all of your future endeavors.