5 Tips to care for your Oily Skin
Oily skin can be that cousin that you love today and despise tomorrow. It’s always that love hate relationship that grows out of immaturity and misunderstandings, but guess what? It doesn’t have to be. We all know that relationships takes work and your skin wants to know that you understand her (yes I said her I know I’m very moody and so my skin must be a "she" too!) and would ride of die for her. I know, easier said than done but lucky for you I have 5 tips to strengthen that bond between you and your oily skin.
Everyone has their skin woes but I must admit that oily skin get a bad rep. It takes unconditional love to truly develop the patience to understand something that is so often misunderstood. If you have time to listen to that guy that is clearly lying through his teeth then girrrrl you need to listen to your skin. I mean she will be with you for your entire lifetime. Now that puts the true meaning on "death do us part". You married your skin the day you were born and for a very long time there were no issues until your communication lines got crossed. That ends today! Here’s how you care for and love that beautiful skin you’re in.
1. Cleanse your face. The best way to get the excess oil under control is to cleanse. Gel or foam cleansers are best for oily skin. Cleansing your skin will lift all the accumulated oil and dirt in your pores that would lead to clogged pores. You want to go after a cleanser that has salicylic acid. These cleansers penetrates the skin and goes inside the pores to clean.
2. Exfoliate twice a week. I can’t stress this enough. Oily skin is the overproduction of sebum (oil) which results in dead skin cells at a quicker rate so you want to be sure to remove the dead skin cells. If not, your skin will look dull, acne breakouts will occur because the bacteria will have no way out…literally! You don't want to damage your skin so look for a gentle exfoliating cleanser or mask.
3. Weekly treatment masks. Treatments are vital for helping your skin thrive. After exfoliating, apply a treatment to your face once a week. Clay mask and charcoal masks are great for oily skin because it does absorb a lot of the oil.
4. Toner. Don’t forget to restore the pH balance in your skin by applying toner. It does restrict the pores so it helps with enlarged pores and maintaining the radiant glow we all seek to have.
5. Always moisturize. This is a very important step. Often my oily skin friends tend to skip this step because why add more oil to the skin, right? Wrong! You want to apply moisturizer because you want your skin to be hydrated so it doesn’t think it’s thirsty. When you skip this vital step in your skincare regimen it sends the message to your skin to produce more moisture. Being consistent in your skincare regimen will be beneficial to regaining control over your skin.
Once you get everything under control you can then experiment with other products that can help with your skin. Schedule a monthly skin care session with your local skincare therapist to increase the health of the skin. Always remember this is the only skin your have